Drive change supporting Victorian communities.
Switch to Social Work is a new employment-based Master of Social Work (Child and Family Practice) program. It was created to address skill and workforce shortages in the child and family services sector. The program is being delivered in partnership with the Victorian Government, the Centre for Excellence in Child and Family Welfare, community services organisations and La Trobe University.
Switch to Social Work is a two-year program that combines study, training and paid work. It is a new pathway for people who already have a bachelor’s degree but who would like to change careers.
Switch to Social Work aims to:
- Create a highly skilled, diverse, and fit-for-purpose child and family services workforce
- Remove financial barriers to entry into social work
- Provide extensive work integrated learning opportunities
- Improve workforce capability, job readiness, employment retention, and workforce diversity
- Recruit applicants looking for a career change
- Operate throughout Victoria in metro, regional and rural locations.
To join as a host organisation, please contact our team.
Participants will leave job-ready with integrated placement opportunities across metropolitan, regional and rural Victoria. Participants also graduate debt-free as Switch to Social Work provides:
- Full tuition fee scholarship
- A cost-of-living allowance in the first year
- Industry-standard wage in the second year.
The program focuses on child and family services. It provides:
- Workplace training opportunities beyond those offered in similar qualifications
- Skills and experience sought by employers
- Access to professional communities of practice
- Insights from industry leaders
- Tailored training to build your leadership and practice skills.
Information on the course units is available in the La Trobe University student handbook.
Switch to Social Work was developed in partnership with:
- Victorian Government
- Centre for Excellence Child and Family Welfare
- La Trobe University
- Community services organisations
Discover other pathways to your new career
You may wish to find out more information about the social work profession and explore alternative pathways to finding the right training, education, and opportunities for roles in the community services sector:
- Department of Families Fairness and Housing Victoria | Inclusion scholarships for social work placements (dffh.vic.gov.au)
- Jobs that matter | vic.gov.au (www.vic.gov.au)
- Child Protection practitioner jobs
- Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW)
- Master of Social Work – La Trobe University
- Bachelor of Social Work Honours – La Trobe University